Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Greatest Love

"...God is love." 1 John 4:8

This seems so simple. To understand the God of the universe is love and He loves us. But, I need to share that I have been struggling lately with this thought. Not so much as if He loves us, but why does He love us? Over 2000 years ago, God sent His one and only son to live on Earth. To live among the liars and theifs and sinners, imperfect people like you and me. Although Jesus was tempted in every way, He lived a perfect life. He has been through the struggles and brokenness we face and yet remained sinless. He is our example. And still, because we are sinners, we hammered every single nail to His body to the cross. We did this to Him, and yet He still loves us and keeps pursuing us with a passion I can't offer Him. As much as I try, I seem to fail and I don't always understand why He continues to love me unconditionally. Recently, the all to common verse, John 3:16, has been used in many situations. How often do we hear this verse and casually glance it over because we know what it says? But, do you? Do you really know what this verse means? God sent His one and only son so that each and everyone of us who BELIEVE in Him will not die but have eternal life!!!! (I added a few of my own words) Christ has brought us from darkness to light!! In sin we are dead, but God has made us alive in Him...and it is fully yours, as a gift. Another verse that seriously has been popping up everywhere lately is, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." This is found in Psalm 51:17. I haven't really understood what this meant until lately, and I am sure I couldn't begin to explain all the ways it could be meant. To be honest, I didn't even really know the definition of contrite. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, contrite means a "feeling or showing sorrow and remorse for a sin or shortcoming." God loves for us to just come as we are to Him and let His love pour over us. It is amazing the complete freedom you receive when you accept God's love and love Him back. God already knows what is going on in your life--He planned it, friend--just talk to Him and let Him break the chains! We all have our struggles, and although "He paid a debt He did not owe, and I owe a debt, I cannot pay," He would have still offered Jesus as a sacrifice so that even one may come to know him as God. By not accepting the love God has bestowed, I am rejecting Him. It is tough for me to swallow and grasp how extravagant the Love of God is, but I am so thankful for this unfathomable love. Thank you, God.

I am reading a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan. There is a prayer that explains pretty much how I feel...here it is.

Jesus, I need to give myself up. I am not strong enough to love You and walk with You on my own. I can't do it, and I need You. I need You deeply and desperately. I believe You are worth it, that You are better than anything else I could have in this life or the next. I want You. And when I don't, I want to want You. Be all in me. Take all of me. Have Your way with me.

You can't really talk about God's love without talking about grace so stay tuned for the next blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment