Thursday, May 28, 2009

The wide world of sports

Growing up in a house with 2 brothers I have been apart of my fair share of sports. Whether it was watching the boys play, actually playing with them, or watching sports on TV, sports have been a staple in our house. I grew up watching the Denver Broncos play on Sunday with my grandparents and then later on my parents. Do I have a connection with the Broncos? No. Do you have a connection with whatever team you cheer for? Probably not, you just like them. Sorry, I just felt like I needed to put that in there. Most people don't understand why a girl cheers for a football team for which she has no ties to. I mean my family is from Colorado so I guess there will always be a loyalty there. OK, that was not where I was going with this post. Ultimately, I love sports. Do I know what all the positions are called? No. Do I know what the different plays are called? No. Do I get into it like a guy does? No. But, that doesn't mean I can't like sports. And, it doesn't mean I am stupid when it comes to sports. Once again, not the point. Wow, my focus is terrible tonight...

If you know me now, you probably wouldn't think I have ever played sports or would like them. But, I played softball for the longest time, competitive cheer for a little bit, cheered, and I danced (I know it isn't a sport, but you go try it lol). I would have played basketball, but I just couldn't get past the whole shooting the ball with someone guarding you thing lol. I think it is fun to still play some of these things, however I must be the one who initiates it not you asking me because I will say no every time. FYI I guess lol.

It's not just football though. My brothers played basketball, baseball and golf. I haven't quite found myself at a golf match yet and probably won't, but they like it. However, I have attended tons of basketball and baseball games. I really do like going to these. It is almost as if for however long the game is, there are no worries anymore. You just enjoy watching the game; maybe not so much at times lol. So many emotions can arise from a single game and they leave memories that last a lifetime (Although don't dwell on your glory days please lol).

Tonight I was once again reminded how much I love sports. My niece is playing T-ball this year. She is 3 years old. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen and it allows for plenty of laughs along the way. While her game was going on, probably about 3 others were being played and 2 others on the other set of fields. Baseball, America's favorite past-time. I understand why. I think I am looking forward to this summer watching her play. After that, we went to my little brother's basketball scrimmage. They are in a summer league where they just scrimmage a bunch of teams over a 2 week period. He transferred schools last year so he is playing with a bigger school. However, this league definitely has small schools attending. Many of these schools my high school played so it is kind of fun to watch. It makes me laugh when I watch small school coaches. They are so intense. It doesn't matter if it is in a game or scrimmage, if they are winning or losing, they want their players to play to their fullest potential all the time. They get out of their chairs, yell a little, walk around, etc. It is so funny. I never thought about it until tonight, but they all do it. Maybe that is why I like small school basketball...it is just fun. I mean our team was losing, but they were having a great time...way to go guys lol.

OK, so this is probably the most random post, but go to a game soon...just see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment