Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Give it up

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

Throughout the past church year, I have had the opportunity to work in the nursery. When I started last September, we had two babies. We have grown! We now have a steady five who come pretty much every week, and then every so often have another one as a visitor. It has been a blessing to be able to watch these kids grow up right before our eyes and see how this group has grown so much because of new babies being born or by families that have started attending our church.

Since we had two for a long period of time, the other lady and I was kind of "in charge" of one each. We didn't mean for it to be that way, but that is the way it worked out. The one I mainly had, was well, not always happy when he came into the nursery. He just didn't want to be away from his mom. But, after awhile he started to play and is now even walking!

Recently, this little boy has started fussing toward the end of Sunday School time again. Since I've been around him quite a bit, I kind of know what to do, but he likes to watch me for the longest time before finally just falling asleep. The other Sunday as I was rocking him to sleep, it made me think of myself (ourselves) and our relationship with Christ at times. Sometimes we go through struggles or dark times and don't really know where to turn, or sometimes we do turn to God, but don't necessarily let Him have the reins in the situation. He is always there, and just like He says in the verse, "Come to me...and I will give you rest." As I held this sweet little boy in my arms, I remember saying, "Give it up, you're OK, I have you."

In some situations of my life I have felt God's arms just wrapped around me for protection and to show me that He was there. Other times I have wanted to be like this boy and not want to close my eyes. Maybe it is out of fear because I like to be in control, and when you truly let God lead your life, it is pretty incredible and not necessarily comfortable. But, we serve a God who loves us so much that He wants to provide rest and comfort and peace to us. He wants to be our Father. It is such a comfort knowing that when we are completely at the end of our rope, God wraps us in His arms and tell us to "Give it up, you're OK, I have you."

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Thanks for giving me my daily pick-me up, I needed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha-it's not me, it's God. Guess what?! I come see you THIS MONTH!

    ReplyDelete