Wednesday, August 3, 2011

9:03

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone,
the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17


Throughout my life, the 9 o'clock hour has made a significant impact on me and I'm sure others. In 2001, terrorists attacked American soil between ~8:45 a.m.-10 a.m. with different attacks. Several years later my older brother joined the U.S. Army as an Army Reserve. Little did I know that in 2009, he would serve a tour in Iraq. That year, I feel like I was more aware of the clock than ever before. I distinctly remember every time looking at the clock and seeing, "9:11," whether it was in the morning or evening. Obviously, I'm sure I looked at the clock other times, but I did see "9:11" many times. I truly believe this was a way God used to remind me to pray for him and the rest of the men and women serving.

Another significant time happened when I was in the 1st grade. I can not believe this much time has passed since 1995, but Oklahomans will never forget April 19, 1995. Timothy McVeigh bombed the Murrah Federal Building at 9:02 a.m., and by 9:03 a.m., 168 lives were taken from Earth and others faced emotional and physical pain. I know I was young and lived about an hour away, but I remember that day very clear, and I remember hearing the bomb.

BUT, this past summer, campers attending Falls Creek were able to establish a new norm for the 9 o'clock hour-freedom! Every morning, at 9:03, they would ring the bell for every person who accepted Christ as their Savior the night before. I can not put into words what this time meant to me. 1) I was so excited to have new brothers and sisters in Christ! 2) Although the things of the past did happen in the 9 o'clock hour, I was able to claim something other than hurt for that time. It was a time of celebration! 3) For many people these tragedies have ended in death, but to these people who accepted Christ - they now have life!

No comments:

Post a Comment