Thursday, June 24, 2010

Remember Your Manners

We have all had those days, even weeks, when nothing seems to be going right at work. You do everything you can to get caught up and yet you fall more behind. (By the way, how does that happen? And, how do you curb this problem?) Yes, I have been having several of those bad days here recently. It is not that the tasks are hard, but there are many of them. I won't get into necessarily what is happening, but it has been rough for me at least..that is until yesterday. It seemed like the simplest of things really. One of the National Guards who are here training with the DASNR International Agriculture Programs needed his license scanned. We have a fairly new scanner so the easiest thing to do was to scan it to me then I would forward it to his e-mail. (You ask why I didn't just send it to his e-mail? Well, I couldn't find the . Crazy huh?) In a matter of seconds everything was complete. Later that afternoon, I received an e-mail that this person had replied to me and said "Thank you for scanning my license." That's it. And, yet these two simple words may have changed my attitude for the rest of the week.

Too often we get so busy we don't stop and thank those around us who are trying to help us. This is a prime example we need to be more cautious sometimes when we hand out work for others to do. A simple "thank you" can go a long way. Hey, you might even through a "please" in there too, which could earn you some brownie points :) Just be appreciative...even in the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reminder, Megan. It was morning booster to me who was getting overwhelmed with the things on my to-do list. Your post helped me to remember one of my favorite quotes:

    We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the “thick of thin things.” In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes.

    I believe expressing gratitude is definitely an important cause :).

    ReplyDelete