Saturday, January 2, 2010

Retail Etiquette

If you have ever worked in retail, you can probably relate to this post. I have for about 3 years now. Typically over Christmas Break and some during the summers. They usually put me in close to 40 hours a week while others not so much, which means I do work and I know a little of what I am talking about. Although I have worked at a particular store for a while, this may be one of the worst Christmas retail seasons I have seen. Not because sales were down, but because people were rude and somewhat clueless. Now, I usually have a smile on my face so I am just using this blog as a place to kind of rant and provide you with some retail etiquette the next time you go shopping :)

1) Coupons--You love them because they get you a discount on your purchase; We love them because they bring you in to our store. However, during the busiest time of the year, please have them ready to use when you approach the check-out. After we have totaled your purchase and ran your card or took your money, we cannot magically go back and credit your purchase with a coupon you just remembered you had. Store clerks will go back and do this, but basically you have to return your stuff and repeat the whole process over, which creates the people behind you to start to fuss and this one makes you look clueless.

2) To All the Guys Out There--If you do not know what to get your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/daughter/etc. please do not come in there and ask the store clerks what to get them. We are not your personal shopper. Once again, busiest time of the year and you are asking us to basically make a decision for you because you have no idea what to get them. Seriously, come in with some ideas and we can go from there. And, if we make a suggestion, don't immediately knock them down cause obviously you have no idea what to get them. Oh, and if you really need help, please do not wait between the time frame of 1-3 days before Christmas because everyone is super, super busy then.

3) Lines-- We all hate them. I promise you the store clerks are trying their hardest. Some may be slower than others, and I apologize for that. But, at this time of year, please realize there is a possibility you will be standing in a line so get over it.

4) Talkers-- I love you are out shopping in our store, and I am sorry for anything horrible that has happened to you over the past year. However, please do not tell me your life story. I have no idea what to say, and when you tell a complete stranger who is checking you out, I kinda feel less empathetic... cold heart, huh? And, if you tell me you are going to the hospital after this and you thought you should get in here because they are having a sale and they probably will put you in the hospital for a couple of days because of pneumonia, please do not even bother coming in.

5) Grumpy-- Holiday causes a lot of stress on everyone. I know clerks do not always necessarily do the right thing. We are probably going to make you mad once in awhile and we will probably mess up once in awhile. But, please let me shake your hand because I have never met anyone perfect before. I apologize for this one as well. We do make mistakes, I am only human. However, I promise to fix it as soon as I know the problem.

Ok, I think that is it for now. Please let me tell you there is a whole new blog to be written about store clerks and how they act and such so this problem is not only about customers. And, I really don't mind what I do and it is fun to help people and see them excited. But, people who do the above---you are the reason I am ready to go back to school! If you have ever had a problem, write it down, I want to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment